Simple Parmesan Kale Salad With Lemon Dressing
Dubbed as the number one superfood, kale is a health nut’s go-to green. We love it because it is one of the most nutrient-dense foods and its packed with vitamins, including the powerful B-complex, as well as antioxidants. The little fat kale does have is concentrated in omega-3 fatty acids.
Whether you can munch on raw kale in bulk, or you need gobs of dressing to force it down, everyone will love this simple, citrusy kale recipe. With grated Parmesan and just enough lemon to make it bright, the salad boasts the perfect balance of tangy and cheesy. Enjoy this kale salad as a post-workout snack or meal to replenish your body with vital nutrients. Chopping the kale takes several minutes, but with only four main ingredients the salad is wonderfully simple. The following recipe serves 1-2 people.
- 3 cups kale
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lemons
- salt and pepper to taste
- One cup at a time, bunch the kale on a cutting board and bunch it together with one hand. Use the other hand to finely chop the kale. Think about the texture of tabbouli or couscous. This is how miniature you want your kale to be cut. Do the best you can, but you’re guaranteed to improve your chopping each time you prepare the salad. Place all three cups of finely chopped kale into a bowl.
- Pour the olive oil and Parmesan over the kale.
- Cut two lemons in half and completely squeeze out the juice into the salad.
- Hopefully your hands are already washed, but this is a good time to go clean them again. Squeeze and mix the mixture with your hands. Massaging kale makes a drastic difference in the way kale looks and tastes. Once all of the ingredients seem evenly mixed, rinse your hands. Try a bite to see how the consistency is. Depending on your flavor preferences you may need to add more lemon juice, or you may want to add more chopped kale if the dressing is too strong. This is the brilliant thing about the recipe—it’s impossible to mess up!
- Once you find a flavor you’re happy with, add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.