The best excursions and destinations for an adventure honeymoon
Forget the age-old tradition of honeymooning at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico. Gone are the days when newlyweds are expected to spend their first weeks of marriage doing little but soaking in the sun on the beach. Of course, some people are into that, which is fine for them! But some adventurous couples want more action during their post-wedding holiday. If you’re one of those people, read on to discover some of the world’s best adventure-packed honeymoon ideas!
Scuba diving can be a seriously romantic adventure for two, considering the sport is based on the “buddy check” mentality. Dive deep underwater, experiencing everything from sea turtles passing by to colorful coral reefs. Here are a few of the best Scuba spots in the world.
- Barracuda Point, Sipadan, Malaysia: With a name like Barracuda Point, you know you’re in for several fly-bys of the namesake fish. The underwater prairies are also home to white tips, turtles, bumphead parrotfish, and grouper.
- Blue Hole, Belize: There are so many layers to Blue Hole’s beauty, including the bathwater warm waters, shockingly colorful corals, mix of salt and freshwater, underwater caves, and 30m visibility. You could spend an entire week exploring the various complexities of this natural enigma.
- Manta Ray Night Dive, Kailua Kona, Hawaii: This iconic excursion has underwater floodlights planted on the ocean floor to attract plankton at night, which in turn attracts dozens of giant manta rays. Imagine swimming through the elegant dance of Kona’s famed manta rays, as they pass you in touching-distance.
For those in the right shape, participating in a cycling tour is a quintessential experience. Especially in one of these idyllic locations! Country roads? Vineyards? What could be more romantic than that?
- Napa Valley, California: Cycle from vineyard to vineyard in America’s number one destination for premium wine. The views of the Mayacama Mountains and rolling green hills are abundant as you pass row after row of vines. Turn into a winery at your leisure.
- Tuscany, Italy: While the hills of Tuscany take a certain level of expertise to cycle, their splendor is worth the effort. Hop from accommodations (villa rentals, anyone?) or stay in one place and explore from there. There’s no wrong way to cycle the region!
Whether you’re after a multi-day adventure or a few day hikes, these gorgeous destinations filled with challenging trails will help you grow together during your honeymoon.
- The Alps: The Alps are a choose-your-own-adventure experience, considering they pass through France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Germany, Monaco, and Slovenia. For an iconic trip, consider booking a chalet near Grindelwald in the Swiss Alps for a plethora of trails at your doorstep. Want a quieter holiday? Try the mountains outside of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Peru: With plenty of historical monuments, seriously epic views, and wonderful culture abound, Peru is a guaranteed destination for a blissful hiking honeymoon. Rise early to catch a breathtaking view of Machu Picchu or take the long way up on the Inca Trail. The Andes Mountains will give your new marriage all the beauty and inspiration in the world!
- Khao Lak–Lam Ru National Park, Thailand: The diversity of Thailand’s Khao Lak–Lam Ru National Park is what makes this destination so surreal. Hike through luscious rainforests to find beaches, lagoons, waterfalls, and even an elephant habitat or two. Up for a challenge? The park has two mountains (Khao Lak and Lam Ru) to summit, as well! And when you’re all done, plant yourselves at the beach. Bliss.