Fireside Roasted Trout Recipe
Nothing, and we do mean nothing, tastes as good as dinner cooked fireside when you’re camping. One of our favorite campsite meals would be fresh-caught trout baked over the fire, which is why we’ve put together this recipe.
If you’re not sure how to setup a cooking fire, we recommend heading here to learn the basics. Or you can simply build a fire and lay a grill grate over it.
- Small cast iron skillet (Optional if using a grill grate)
- Grill grate
- Aluminum foil
Ingredients (Per camper)
- 1 Trout
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill
- 3 lemon slices
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- Build your fire.
- Debone and clean your trout.
- Tear tin foil into at least 18″ long piece, and place your deboned trout on it.
- Rub the outside of your fish with the olive oil. Place lemon slices and dill inside the fish, seasoning well with salt and pepper inside and out.
- Fold the foil over the fish, twisting together each end. This should form a secure pouch.
- If using a cast iron skillet, place the fish in the skillet and put the skillet over the fire. Otherwise you can place the foil pouch right on the grill grate.
- Cook over your fire for 15-30 minutes, depending on the fire’s heat. Carefully open your foil pouch and check the inside of your trout using a fork. If the meat begins to flake then your fish is cooked.
That’s all you need. You can roast assorted veggies in the cast iron skillet when you are cooking your trout, or this is great served by itself.